Sunday, January 4, 2015

Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin

Title: Until We Reach Home
Author: Lynn Austin
First Published: 2008
Published By: Bethany House
Format Read: Kindle for PC
Read: Nov. 19 2014
Rating: 5/5

(Image from Goodreads)

 After the death of both parents, Elin Carlson feels she must protect her younger sisters from the advances of their uncle and leave their beloved farm in Sweden. With the help of another uncle, Elin arranges for the three young women to immigrate to America, in hopes for a better life.

We follow the three sisters, as they journey across the Atlantic, via steamship in steerage, then to New York's Ellis Island before settling in Chicago.

I became so wrapped up in this story. Although the hardships they faced, it was still a sweet story of hope and the love of family. I enjoyed the individual plot lines and admired each sister for different reasons: Elin for the love she showed, Kirsten's whimsy and Sofia's unwavering belief. The relationship between Sofia and Ludwig was especially touching.

This book is definitely one of my favourite books I have read in 2014. Although I read it in Kindle format, I do hope to one day purchase a physical copy so I can read it over and over.


A couple of years ago I won a book called Dark Road Home (Edge of Freedom #2) by Elizabeth Ludwig, from a Goodreads giveaway. It was sent to me by Bethany House (the same publisher who brought us Lynn Austin's Until We Reach Home), along with a card mentioning their facebook page. Since then I have read and loved several of their books. I have also added numerous more to my TBR pile, that I am eager to get to. For more information on Bethany House check out their website and facebook page as follows:
Bethany House Division Homepage
Bethany House Publishers Facebook Page


For more information on Ellis Island check out this website:
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment