Friday, January 2, 2015

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Title: The Friday Night Knitting Club
Author: Kate Jacobs
First Published: 2006
Published By: Berkley Trade
Format Read: Trade Paperback
Read: Dec. 29 2014
Rating: 3/5

Image from Goodreads

Set in New York City, Kate Jacobs; The Friday Night Knitting Club follows Georgia Walker: single mother and owner of a yarn shop. When employees and regular customers begin to gather to share knitting tips a club (of sorts) is formed and friendships begin. 

 The title is what originally brought my attention to this book. I imagined it would be a cozy read, with loveable characters. Unfortunately I didn't really get the feeling I was hoping for. Or at least not until the end. As I read along I wondered to myself why this was. First of all I think that fact that it was set in busy Manhattan. Secondly because I didn't really warm up to any of the characters (until briefly at the end of the book), with the exception of Anita, Marty and of course Georgia's Grandmother. The sudden return of James and Cat in Georgia's life created conflict and antagonists. Then we learn their point of view quite early on. Although there is still conflict I believed that the reader was lead to sympathize with their circumstances. I wonder why the author took this approach instead of waiting until later and letting the readers discover the truth along with the main character Georgia?

I found the majority of the book to be a bit slow. It wasn't until Georgia, Dakota and Cat took their trip to Scotland that my interest began to pick up. This and the turn of events in the last part of this book, earned a third star for my rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment