Monday, January 19, 2015

Hero at Large by Janet Evanovich

Title: Hero at Large
Author: Janet Evanovich
First Published: 1987
Published By: HarperAudio
Format Read: Audio
Genre: Romance
Read: Jan 19 2015
Rating: 1.5/5

(Image from Goodreads)





Single mother Chris (a skating coach) was on the way to the rink one day when her car broke down on the highway. A passing motorist who just happens to be a tall, dark, handsome and conveniently single came to her aid. After slamming the hood of her car down on his arm, Chris then has to drive Ken (in his vehicle) to the hospital. Meanwhile it doesn’t take long for the sparks between the two to fly. Due to his injury and not being able to take care of himself, Ken invites himself to move into Chris’s house. 

This audio book for me was just one loooooong “Yeah right!” after another. First of all what woman would leave her purse behind in a stranger’s truck, with not only her wallet but keys inside as well? Next what kind of woman would let said stranger move into her house after he had stolen her keys to gain entry into the house? Only a Janet Evanovich character, that’s who. 

While I thought the reader C.J. Critt was one of the better voices I have listened to in audio books, I just couldn’t get into the story. The decisions made by the characters (mostly Chris) seemed so unrealistic that less than half way through the 1 disc I knew that this book just wasn’t for me. Most people would give up at that point but one of my quirks (for lack of a better word) is that if I start a book, I have to finish it. So I trudged on.  Although I didn’t feel much of a connection with Chris (or any of the characters for that matter) I did find her career as a skating coach to be interesting. I would have liked for there to be more focus on that, but I do realise that, her job wasn’t exactly the point of the story. 

First published in 1987, Hero at Large was one of Janet Evanovich’s first novels. I am a fan of her Stephanie Plum series, unfortunately this one just didn’t grab my attention like those do.

No comments:

Post a Comment