Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Wrap-up: August 28, 2016


Offline Ramblings:
Hello everyone, 

I hope you are enjoying the last weekend of August. Where has the summer gone? I am really looking forward to the fall and cooler weather though.

I had so much to say in my last Sunday Wrap-up that I forgot to talk about the garden. We harvested all the beats and did we ever get a lot! The picture below shows only half of what was picked.



A photo posted by Melissa Lee (@melissaleesmanyreads) on

It was enough to can 29 bottles. By the time we go through that lot we won’t want to see another beet again, haha. Next up is to bottle some carrots and then finally the pears, once they are ready. I’ve discovered that I enjoy working in the garden, watching it grow and harvesting all the vegetables. Unfortunately the raspberries didn’t turn out for some reason. I wonder if it was due in part to the very dry summer we’ve had. Ah well there is always next year.


My Reading Progress

This week I have been participating in the Bout of Book Read-a-thon and failing miserably. I was so excited to be participating at first. I made good progress for the first day or so, then it was like I just didn’t feel like reading. What a terrible time to fall into a reading slump, eh?

My Reading Progress

I did manage to finish 2 short books though. One of which has been on my TBR since before I began blogging, so I am happy to have finally gotten to it.


This book was enjoyable, but not amazing. I decided on a 3/5 rating.



Such a wonderful story, but far shorter than I expected. I gave it a 4/5 rating. 

Currently Reading

I’m still working on the same books I was reading in my last Sunday Wrap-up.



On the Blog

Recent Posts


Upcoming Posts

Tuesday: Book Review: The Obituary Society (The Obituary Society, #1) by Jessica L. Randall RATING: 3.5/5
Thursday: Monthly Wrap-up: August, 2016

Links
Hosted by: Book Date

Hosted by: Caffeinated Reviewer

12 comments:

  1. What a bountiful harvest of beets you have there. When you jar them, are you pickling them or how are they normally stored? I've been seeing a beet recipe here and there on Pinterest but with a brain fart I can't remember if they were savory or sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have been pickled and my parents store them in their cold room. I'd say they are more sweet tasting.

      Delete
  2. The Whiskey Sea has a stunning cover. I would be interested to know your thoughts. I have always wanted to read Tuck Everlasting, a delightful classic.
    Have a lovely reading week,
    Amanda @ mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the cover too. My review for the Whiskey Sea will be up on the 13th and I will also be hosting a giveaway if you are interested. :)
      Hope you are having a lovely week as well Amanda.

      Delete
  3. The Whiskey sea? I have to check up on that one! So sorry it didn't go well with your readathon. I saw it popping up, but I've decided not to partake as I am just a bit swamped at the moment! Will hopefully do better in September. Hope you will have a good reading week! Here's my Sunday Post: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/the-sunday-post-double-up-to-100.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are able to participate in the next Bout of Books read-a-thon. Normally its my favourite to participate in. I guess it just wasn't the right time for me.
      Hope you have a great reading week as well Mareli.

      Delete
  4. Wow that's a ton of beets! And I'm ready for fall too although I will miss summer, I can't believe it's the end of August!! I always like seeing those Nancy Drew or other old mysteries show up. I re- read a few of the Hardy Boys last year and while not spectacular it was interesting!

    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hardy Boys is another series I haven't read. Perhaps one day I will give them a try too.

      Hope you have a nice week too Greg.

      Delete
  5. I did OK on Bout of Books, but not as much as I had hoped. I think I would have done worse if I hadn't been participating though.

    Tuck Everlasting is a very interesting book, I wish that I had read it before I saw the movie since my expectations were very different from the reality.

    I enjoyed the Ella Enchanted audiobook (although I did feel like the middle really dragged).

    Sunday Summary #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess doing just ok is better than not participating at all, like you said. :)

      I agree with you. I wish I read the book before I saw the movie as well. The two were so different. But I think I enjoyed the movie a bit more to be honest.

      I ended up DNF'ing Ella Enchanted for the time being. I just couldn't concentrate on it for some reason. I will pick it up again though at some point, but probably in physical format.

      Delete
  6. The Whiskey Sea looks good. I have seen it featured quite a bit this month. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. Happy reading to you as well.

      Delete