Wednesday, May 17, 2017

No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1) by Elizabeth Ludwig




No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
By: Elizabeth Ludwig


Published: October, 2012
Published By: Bethany House Publishers 
Format Read: Kindle for PC, eBook
Genre: Christian Fiction, Historical Fiction, Historical Romance

Rating: 3.5/5 





Cara Hamilton thought her twin brother Eoghan was dead, but when a cryptic letter confirms that he is alive, she risks it all and boards a ship to America. Cara is warned to be cautious and not trust anyone until she is safely reunited with him. However she accepts the help of a fellow passenger aboard the ship who directs her towards a boarding-house and an irresistible young man named Rourke. While Cara searches for her brother, she finds her own life at risk. But can she figure out how this relates to her his disappearance and can she really trust those who she has befriended?


Back in 2013, I won my first Goodreads giveaway which was a copy of Elizabeth Ludwig’s Dark Road Home, the second book in the Edge of Freedom series. However I had yet to read this first book until now.

No Safe Harbor is set in 1897, New York, a time period and city that I enjoy reading about. The story moved at a good pace throughout and held my attention. The main characters had detailed backstories that played into the events that transpired.

Unfortunately I didn’t love No Safe Harbor as much as I did Dark Road Home. I found Cara to be very naive and careless. I tend to enjoy stronger female protagonists and felt she was the typical damsel in distress.

I liked how the author switched narrative perspectives throughout however I wish it was more consistent. There were some characters that was only featured once or twice and left me wanting to learn more about them.


No Safe Harbor was a good story, despite those minor things I mentioned. I would recommend it to those who enjoy historical Christian fiction.  


Edge of Freedom Series 

  1. No Safe Harbor 
  2. Dark Road Home

No comments:

Post a Comment